Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Vegas Part II

What a great vacation this is! It's been the perfect combination between fun and relaxing. Yesterday we spent the morning driving around Vegas with a realtor to get a feel for the city and where we might like to live if we end up here. The truth is that I've been very pleasantly surprised by the city. It's actually quite pretty. It's got a lot of the xeriscaping of Albuquerque, but it also has a lot of palm trees-- making it look greener overall. All of the mountains around it make the landscape more interesting, too. I think that if we end up here, we could be quite happy.

We spent yesterday afternoon on the strip watching the Bellagio's dancing fountain, checking out their indoor fall-themed garden, and just taking in the sights. Then we had dinner at a wonderful Chinese restaurant (which had a bathroom attendant-- talk about awkward! In Vanna-style she showed me the soap dispenser and then hovered over my shoulder with a paper towel for me. The counter was strewn with candy dishes, lotions, perfumes, etc. but I didn't dare check any of them out with Vanna standing there. Then I noticed a tip jar for Ms. Paper Towel, so I got out of there as fast as I could!) and went to see the Blue Man Group perform. What a fun show! I didn't realize that it would be more than percussion-- it had some fun tricks and a lot of comedy involved, too. Brett wanted to know if it was worth the price, and even though it was great, I'd have to say no. It would be worth $20-$40 a ticket I think, but if you have to choose between that and a Broadway show, I'd say go with the show for sure.

This morning we headed into Vegas's red rock mountain area and went for a run there. It was beautiful. We stopped in the middle and did some climbing on the rocks (as opposed to "rock climbing" which actually takes some degree of skill and expertise). Benjamin would have loved it!

Right now Brigham is gone to his fourth and final interview that we have lined up so far. It will be good to get this last piece of the puzzle put into place so that we can see the whole picture!

6 comments:

  1. Dang...I was hoping you would hate it so you could come to Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah sounds fun... I still might try to see the blue man group some time should I make it to Vegas and the opportunity presents itself.

    I'm still voting that you come to Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just ran across this article ...

    http://www.cnbc.com/id/33310096

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utah, Utah! Don't you know "This IS THE PLACE"?? You can ALWAYS believe a prophet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I was pleasantly surprised by vegas too. Everyone who doesn't know much about it thinks about the bad part of vegas (which very much exists), but as long as you stay away from the Strip it is a lovely wonderful place with a nice percentage of LDS people. We particularly liked Henderson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J laughed at your comment about palm trees making it look greener. He says any plant life would make it look greener even cactus that ABQ is lacking. Glad you are having fun! Can't wait for more updates.

    ReplyDelete