Sunday, October 4, 2009

Benjamin's Metamorphosis

Since he was a baby, Benjamin has always been our "safety kid." I blame myself, really. As my first baby, I was always hovering behind him, waiting to catch him whenever he fell down. I can't complain too much, however, since his cautiousness has always made my job easier. I never had to worry about him trying out dangerous playground equipment or climbing on things. Learning to ride a bike without training wheels was a long ordeal, due to a couple of minor tumbles. After a couple of weeks of white-knuckled, half-hearted trys, Benjamin announced to me, "I've decided that I don't want to ride a bike anymore. You just need to buy me a scooter." Being out of ideas, I resorted to bribery and told him that once he could ride his bike without training wheels we'd get him a scooter. After a few more weeks, it finally clicked. Since then he's been showing me all of his bike "tricks", such as standing up on the pedals, holding on with only one hand, etc. So you can imagine my surprise when he called me out to see his new trick and I saw him doing this:


Fortunately I was able to restrain the "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?? GET DOWN FROM THERE BEFORE YOU BREAK YOUR SKULL!" that immediately surged to my lips.

You just don't expect Barney to turn into Evil Knievel.

9 comments:

  1. Wow Benjamin! You are amazing! This picture is now my computer background. I'm excited to come and play with you at Thanksgiving and see these great tricks myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a whole lot braver than I ever was. That's really very impressive. Scary. But impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. He went from training wheels to that in how long?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE are absolutely amazed! Benjamin told us about his tricks on the phone but we hadn't quite conceptualized it till we saw that photo. How do we get it to blow up for a poster?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next he'll be standing on his head on the seat while he goes around that circle in front of your house ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The other day I laughed when Caleb told me he wanted to leap from the seat of his bike, do a backflip, land on the bike, and keep on riding. Now you've got me worried ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK. That last picture is the very reason I'm nervous to have a boy!! :)

    ReplyDelete