Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy Birthday, Jacob!




Today I would like to pay tribute to my middle boy-- the one and only Jacob Dax. He turned four today, and I've been reflecting back on his birth and feeling so grateful for how far he's come. I remember the second time that he was admitted to the hospital when he was around 7 months old, standing and talking with our pediatrician who said, "I hate to say this to you, but maybe you should prepare yourself for the fact that Jacob's chromosomal abnormality may not be compatible with a long life. We just don't have enough information to know." With the little girl in the only case study of Jacob's same abnormality dying at age 3, I was terrified that he might be right. And yet, here is Jacob: four years old, walking, running in his own funny way, loving like no one else can, making us laugh every day, terrorizing our electronics, outsmarting our childproofing efforts, and enthusiastically enjoying life. How blessed are we!

5 comments:

  1. Those videos are hilarious! He is so cute! Of course, out of the whole cake, he would go for the only thing on it that is inedible!... that's my nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I liked the going for the candle first. Of course...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Jacob!! (a little late, sorry. we aren't all together yet) I love that boy like my own and I am so amazed at the sweet boy he has become. Christa did you forget to tell me about your awesome cake making skills....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christa, and Greetings from Ivymount!

    Thanks so much for letting me know about your blog. Jacob looks great and Benjamin seems so grown up. Little Ty looks like a Benjamin/Jacob combo.

    Don't worry about whether your postings are witty or fascinating. Just be yourself.

    Love,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is so great Christa!! we miss you guys like crazy. gees

    ReplyDelete