Thursday, August 5, 2010

Canyoneering Adventurers!









Four beginners. Seven beautiful, fast-flowing waterfalls. One crazy idea to rappel down them, and a guide loopy enough to take on the task. Add it all up and you get a day never to forget!

We went with my brother and his wife, and between the four of us we could still count all of the times we'd been rappelling on one hand. The canyoneering trip that we chose was for experienced rappellers (as we found out when we arrived), but our guide assured us that he could get us through in one piece if we still wanted to go. Of course we did!

Anyone watching a video of our experience might think that they were watching clips from "America's Funniest Videos": there was plenty of slipping on slimy rocks, crashing into the side of the canyon, going under the waterfalls, and general spasticity. Put that together with our ultra-attractive canyoneering attire (rain jackets over helmets and wet suits), and my guess is that we would have sent anyone with the slightest degree of experience into hysterics. Luckily we were the only ones in the whole canyon. Our guide might have been laughing, but the roaring of the waterfall drowned it out (he said the water was at the highest level he'd ever seen it thanks to the rain for several days beforehand-- it was also colder than normal. BRRRRRRRR!).

Despite our complete lack of canyoneering skills, it was an amazing experience! Our rappels took us through this beautiful slot canyon that would have been a pleasure just to see. Add the thrill of rappelling down gorgeous waterfalls, and it was an experience like no other!

The rest of our trip was spent hiking around in Arches National Park and enjoying the amazing beauty there. We went on a 7 mile hike on primitive trails that was fantastic. It felt so good to be back out in nature again! Our goal is to somehow convince Jacob that nature is way better than electronics. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

  1. It was VERY fun! Thanks again for inviting us! What's our next adventure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *LOVE* to see/hear about this. I'm too old for new adventures so I have to live my adventures vicarously. I've experienced some of the Moab area for so many years that it's exciting to have my kids experience things there that I never dreamed of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me SMILE just to imagine it! And I am with Gramps, I will have to live my adventures vicariously too. You don't even have to do anything or injure yourself to ache at our age! But I love seeing your pictures and description, so thanks, Brigham.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so fun! Sad I was too stressed out with the busy week to come with you guys. But next time we'll be there for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic adventure. Loved seeing the post.

    ReplyDelete